Visit CSIRO Parkes radio telescope
Tune in to the universe at the dish and experience the awesome sight of this icon of Australian science, the achievements of the astronomers that use the Parkes telescope and the grandeur of the universe that they explore.
visitors centre and dish cafe
Built virtually in the shadow of the 64 metre dish, the visitors centre primarily caters for public curiosity about the radio telescope and astronomy, through contact with over 100,000 visitors per year. Star of the movie "The Dish", the telescope is still a world class instrument used by Astronomers from around the world to explore the Universe.
- Open: 8.30 am to 4.15 pm every day except Christmas and Boxing Days, extended trading during some holidays and for some groups
- Free entry
- Great view of the telescope
- Displays and exhibits
- 3D theatre (entry fee applies)
- theatre about the telescope (entry fee applies)
- Licensed dish caf纯li>
- Shop with Souvenirs, books, posters and science toys
- Free BBQ and Picnic facilities
- Located 20km north of Parkes, 100km south of Dubbo on the Newell Highway, New South Wales
- Visitor centre contact: +61 2 6861 1777, email@example.com
- Dish Caf矣ontact: +61 2 6862 1566, firstname.lastname@example.org
More Information about visiting the telescope
What to see
The visitors centre has displays and interactive exhibits about the telescope. Best of all it is literally in the shadow of the dish so you can't beat the view. There is also a shop stocking a wide range of souvenirs and astronomy and science books and toys.
The Parkes Radio Telescope is 20 km north of Parkes on the Newell Highway, the main highway between Brisbane and Melbourne. The road to the telescope is clearly marked. Being readily accessible from Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney, with attractions both here and on the way makes the telescope a popular attraction.
We have two theatres that operate on demand.
- Invisible Universe
- A 21 minute presentation about the telescope, radio astronomy, the history of radio astronomy and some of the achievements of the astronomers who use the Parkes telescope.
- 3D Theatre
- Currently showing an 16 minute double feature. Take a flight to Mars aboard the spaceraft Elysium 7 followed by a virtual tour of the telescope. Other 3D shows available on request.
Admission to one theatre- Adults $6.50, Concession $5.00, Family $20.00
Visit both theatres and receive a 10% discount
The Dish Caf纯h3>
What better way to enjoy a great view of the telescope than over great coffee or food? The Dish caf石erves a wide range of wholesome homemade style food and drink from light meals to large breakfasts. Open 8.30 to 4.15. Closed Christmas and Boxing Day. The cafe also caters for groups and functions: Telephone +61 2 6862 1566 or email email@example.com